Dog Health Problems
In Bali, just like how we get sick easily from the rapid weather changes, dog too are at risk of getting sick at some time or another. Here's our short guide on things to look out for to keep your dog healthy. Keep in mind, if any health problems seem too serious or dangerous, contact your vet immediately.
Our list of health problems to look for:
- Ear infections are a common problem for dogs. They can be caused by allergies, yeast, ear mites, bacteria, and more. Symptoms include head shaking, vigorous scratching or a lack of balance. Always take your dog to the vet if you think they has an ear infection. Medicine and cleaning the ear will make the problems go away.
- Vomiting can be from a multitude of causes. They range from something harmless, like eating too fast, to more dangerous causes like eating something poisonous or inedible or some issue within their body. If your dog vomits once and proceeds to eat regularly and have a normal bowel movement, the vomiting was most likely an isolated incident. Just make sure the dog doesn't get dehydrated. If the vomiting is severe and there are other symptoms, like diarrhea, dehydration, lethargy, blood in vomit, weight loss, or an increase or decrease in thirst or urination, take your dog to the vet immediately.
- Diarrhea can be caused by many things, including allergies, infections, stress, infections like parvo virus, intestinal parasites, and food problems. Diarrhea can easily lead to dehydration, so make sure your dog has plenty of clean water available. If the diarrhea persists for more than a day, or if there's a fever, lethargy, vomiting, dark or bloody stools, or loss of appetite, take your dog to the vet immediately.
- Straining to go to the bathroom is always an emergency. Call your vet immediately.
- Fleas are a very common problem. But it’s one you can easily treat. Wash them with a flea shampoo or try a spot-on treatment like Frontline or Advantage to solve the problem quickly.
- Mange is highly contagious but treatable. If your dog comes in contact with a mangey animal, they might catch the mange themselves. But do not stress – it is easy to treat, especially early on. Go to the vet for injections and medicine. To prevent them from getting mange, use Frontline or Advantage every month.
- Worms are always gross. Dogs can get it from drinking contaminated water or from killing mice. Symptoms of a tapeworm infection can be subtle but may include vomiting or weight loss while looking bloated. The easy remedy is to go to the vet for deworming medicine. It will kill the worms within 3 days and usually costs under 70,000 IDR.